How to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on ASUS F8SG

in How To, Windows 7

Yet another upgrade to my aging laptop. From 2GB my laptop now has 4GB of memory and what better way to exploit the use of this upgrade than to upgrade my operating system as well. Enter Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Good thing though my upgrade to 64 bit was less dramatic than my installation with the 32 bit version. I couldn’t say that it was an upgrade as the term implies because I had to reinstall everything after backing up all my data pre 64 bit and doing a clean install.

So this were how things went when I did the installation:

1. Made a backup and imaged the whole laptop drive.
2. Reboot, formatted the install drive (C: in my case) and let the installer do its thing.
3. After the installation this was what was left on the device manager interface were the following:

4. The three Base System Device requires the ricoh card reader driver, the two Unknown Device is the atk100 and infrared module respectively. The Fingerprint Sensor requires the authentec fingerprint driver. Please note this is for my ASUS F8 series which is an F8SG-4P03A.

5. Then I proceeded to install the following.

6. The Nvidia video driver for 9300M G. Rebooted after install.

7. ATK100 driver for Windows 7 64 bit. This is for the extra buttons and indicators (wifi, bluetooth) to work properly. Rebooted after install.

8. Installed the ATK hotkey software rebooted, then installed the ATK Media software.

9. Installed the RICOH Card Reader driver then rebooted.

10. Installed the fingerprint software/driver then finally the infrared module driver.

After I installed all the drivers of course I went ahead and updated my system via Windows Update. Then went on to restore my archived backups. Like I said its not much but hopefully somebody will get an idea of how easy it is to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on a  laptop (ASUS F8SG). Please do leave your question at the comment box. Hope this helps. ^_^

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Nattacker July 4, 2010 at 9:20 am

I also use Asus F8SG series. but i just wanted to know where u got these links? i went to ASUS website and they did not provide drivers for my series for 64 bit :-/

Jeedo July 4, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Hey Nat,

Sorry, can’t remember I posted this a long time ago. However if you can provide me the exact series of your ASUS laptop I might be able to help. ^_^

Dk July 19, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Hey Jeedo

Thanks for this site. I recently did similar upgrade from 2GB mem to 4GB.
Vista 32-bit is killing me, so upgrading it to Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. My model is F8SG-4P016C.

What’s the difference from your 4P03A edition? I assume the drivers should still be applicable to mine.

Thanks!

Dk

Jeedo July 22, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Hi Dk,

Not really sure about the hardware specs, it should be similar. Where did you buy your laptop from?

Ishaq December 16, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Hi, Can you help me please…?
How can i find Drivers for Windows 7 64 bit?
my notebook is ASUS F8sg- 4P044
Serial No- 84N0AS42355018C

Thank you.

Jeedo December 16, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Hi Ishaq,

I’m afraid it will be difficult to look for XP 64bit at this time. I suggest you upgrade to Windows 7 64bit, you shouldn’t have problems with drivers by then, I still have my ASUS F8SG and I’m using Windows 7 64bit (Ultimate) on all of my laptops/computers. Sorry can’t help on this one :-/

yobveb January 17, 2012 at 12:08 am

hi…im having problems on installing the drivers specially the nvidia display driver..can you please give me some instructions on how to install the drivers after the 64 bit upgrade win 7..same model with yours asus f8sg 4p03a..pls help?..thnx

Jeedo January 17, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Hi yobveb,

Please specify details with your installation problems, that would allow me to help you better. We can start from the errors that you are getting.

Ken Martin February 14, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Hi, there

I have an with 3MB RAM, and have decided to clean install Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I use Canon’s IP100 and MX860 printers and their scanner 8800F. As far as I can see, Canon’s site should provide the drivers. Apart fom these, I think I can cherry pick from your post. Any pitfalls?

Regards

Ken

Jeedo February 28, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Hi Ken,

Unfortunately, I don’t have extensive experience with printers as I barely use them. I suggest you use the cd/dvd that came with your hardware if it was purchased this year it should have support for Windows 7 both the 32 and 64 bit version. Please follow the exact install sequence provided by the manufacturer specially for usb printers, as I notice some quirky bugs arise when installed another way.

Danik May 19, 2012 at 1:53 am

Hello Jeedo

I am considering to upgrade my system Vista 32bit to Windows 7 home premium and my laptop is ASUS F8SN,3GB of ram and geforce 9500gs,but, I am kind of not sure which bit of win 7 should I use, 32 or 64 bit? This is cos, in mircrosoft website was mentioned that in case if win7(64bit) is not compatible then 32bit has to be installed instead. But, I only can buy one disk either 32 or 64 bits, much cheaper, than buying two bits systems in one disk. So, wanted to know your view and advice, which one should I use? Also, I would appreciate if you have some drivers for “graphics nVidia GeForce 9500Gs”, different than yours. And, one more thing is, you know whether drivers you posted will be compatible with my machine, like fingerprint, Ricoh Card Reader( why we need Ricoh?)

Thanks

Jeedo May 19, 2012 at 5:49 am

Hi Danik,

I can probably look for 64bit drivers for your laptop but frankly, just don’t have the time right now. I’d always suggest going for 64bit but just for the sake of driver availability your best bet would be to install Windows 7 32bit for your laptop. Then all the drivers you need can be found here: http://bit.ly/J3pOQW. Hope this helps.

Previous post:

Next post:

Win-7-key  Win-7-product-key  Win-7-ultimate-key  Win-7-key-sale  Windows-7-professional  windows-7-Pro  Windows-7-key  windows-7-ultimate  Windows-7-ultimate-key  Windows-7-product-key  Windows-7-key-sale  Windows-7-iso  windows-7-home-premium  windows-7-home  Office-2013-key  Office-2013-Professional  Office-2010-key  office-2010-product-key  Office-2016-key  office-2016-product-key  office-2016-pro  windows-8-key  windows-8-key-sale  Windows-8-pro  windows-8.1-key  windows-8.1-product-key  windows-8.1-professional  Windows-10-key  Windows-10-key-sale  Windows-10-product-key  Windows-10-iso  Windows-10-Pro